Where it all began....
The Merlo story comes from humble beginnings with the founding father of Merlo, Giuseppe Amilcare Merlo, opening a small iron processing workshop in the heart of Cuneo, Italy in 1911. Specialising in the production of machinery spare parts, the business grew until Giuseppe’s children became involved in the day to day running of the company.
As the business grew, they soon needed larger premises and in 1953 moved into a purpose built 2000 sq.m building on the outskirts of Cuneo. The business grew from strength to strength and in just over 10 years began construction of a 40,000 sq.m plant to keep up with the growing demands of the business, with Merlo Spa becoming the group we know today in 1964
Merlo brought innovation and advanced technology to the market and began producing concrete mixer and dumper trucks to the construction sector in the mid 60’s.
1981 saw the first introduction of the Merlo telehandler that we know and love today, the SM30, which brought new technology to the market being one of the first companies to offer telescopic boom side-shift, permanent four-wheel drive and hydrostatic transmissions.
In 1987 Merlo, again pushing the telehandler market forward, introduced side mounted engines and low hinged booms giving great all-round visibility, a trait that Merlo’s are renowned for today. The success of the SM30 allowed Merlo to invest heavily in research and development and just 4 years later, the worlds first “Roto” was introduced to the market, a telehandler with the ability to rotate 360۠° with no repositioning of the machine required.
The Turbofarmer began life in 1996 as a specialist agricultural machine with 7 models across the range. The millennium brought with it the Merlo Multifarmer, a multipurpose machine that combines the versatility of a telehandler and the operating capabilities of a tractor. Fitted with PTO and a 3-point hitch at the rear this revolutionary machine allowed for one machine that could do it all!
2002 saw the introduction on Cingo, a range of universal tracked transporters for the construction, agricultural and industrial sectors.
The Merlo training and research centre was born in 2005, built on an area of 50,000 sq.m allowing training and instructing for machinery drivers and equipment handling.
In 2014 Merlo is officially recodnised as a “centenary” company by the Italian Chamber of Commerce for operating for over 100 years.
Through their continued research, development and innovation Merlo have been awarded several awards throughout the world. Their latest accolade being the prestigious ‘ADI Compasso d’Oro 2022’ Award for the revolutionary E-Worker, Merlo’s first all-electric telehandler
Merlo’s main facility is still based in Cuneo Italy to this day, operating from a 2.3 million square feet factory with over 1,200 employees. By building over 92% of products in-house Merlo strives to continue bringing innovation, safety and versatility to the telehandler market. Today, Merlo operates from over 800 dealers across the world offering spare parts, sales and service.